22RE turbo overview
IE: How'd you do it? A: Here's the rough outline.
Start with a very well maintained, but bone stock 1988 Toyota 4Runner:
Buy a "core" - IE dead or trashed 22RTE motor (note a standard 22RE works just as well, I just didn't want any down time with my vehicle):
Do the following:
- Rebuild it. Right. Everyone checked, machined, balanced, and rechecked as necessary.
- Do some head work. Use larger than stock valves.
- Setup the compression ratio for a turbo. Note: cast pistons CAN be used here in a 22RE motor for a budget deal.
- Find a reasonable manifold to work with a garrett turbo.
- Use the stock EFI system as much as possible - stock hardware.
- Use megasquirt to control fuel and spark. Throw away the AFM, use a ford Throttle Body.
- Design a PnP (Plug and Play) harness for use with the factory wiring - basic stock ECU replacement.
- Upgrade the fuel pump. Walbro 255.
- Upgrade the injectors. Rx7 turbo 550cc.
- Tune it. LC-1 Wideband
- Make it look nice and stay reliable.